Going to a soccer match in Toronto is different than going to a Raptors or a leaf's game. I think it might be because the sea of red. And by sea of red I mean the swarms of loyal, giddy TFC fanatics. Both times I have gone to a TFC game I have left the field thinking the same thing--how great it is to see a bunch of Torontonians in a good mood, collected together for the common purpose of cheering on our players and having a great time (OK, the Carlsberg in sippy cups miiiiight help).
There is a sense of camaraderie, excitement and most of all spirit that is simply contagious at these games. I love sports, but neither of my parents are sports fans (and my own personal exposure to sports has been limited to lacrosse and equestrian pursuits), so I don't really know too much about the games and the rules, etc. but my lack of knowledge with regards to the league's teams or the players names didn't matter much... you can have a great time at these games without a repository of soccer related knowledge. I had a great time chatting with joyful Toronto citizens happy to be basking in their communal spirit--singing, stomping and laughing. If you ever feel like Toronto can be a cold place, with little small talk and people constantly on the go--head to a TFC game. It might just warm your heart. The spirit on those bleachers is lovely.
Good times.
No comments:
Post a Comment